As part of scratching my itch to learn Ruby I decided to create a GitHub repository for storing my code, downloaded samples and koans. Being mainly a Subversion user I decided to use GitHub for this, simply to extend my knowledge of this popular version control system.
When setting up GitHub using the detailed instructions here I ran into an issue when testing my SSH Connection, which GitHub uses to enable secure communications between your computer and the server. Using GitBash I entered the following command:
$ ssh -T email@example.com
$ Permission denied (publickey).
I resorted to the documentation and found the following command:
$ ssh -vT firstname.lastname@example.org
Using the switch -vT instructs the terminal to show debug details. Upon reviewing this debug I noticed that the session connected successfully but when trying to authenticate with my generated public key, the files being searched for where not the same as the name I created for mines.
OpenSSH was searching the .ssh folder for one of the following public key file names:
To resolve this issue - I renamed the key files to id_rsa which resolved this issue for me. There were two in the .ssh directory (id_rsa.pub and id_rsa).
So when creating an ssh key, when asked to enter a file in which to save the key - simply hit "Enter" and it will use the default settings.