As part of my own personal development I have decided to delve into learning yet another language...Ruby. This time though I'm going to document my progress and thoughts on my blog.
Being a developer I think it's only natural that we experiment with, not only coding in the languages we are proficient in, but also branch out to learn about what other languages have to offer and also how to go about solving the same or similar problems in those other languages. Partly inspired by the Pragmatic Programmers "Seven Languages in Seven Weeks" I have decided to take things further with Ruby.
In order to learn the language I sought out a structured approach and came across a basic course "Programming for the Web with Ruby" on http://rubylearning.org.
The reason I chose this course and am happy to share the details is due to the fact that it not only focuses on the Ruby language itself but also on the basics of Web Application development such as using GitHib for version control, HTML5/CSS3 and other basic HTTP / Web related topics. Obviously us more advanced web developers can skip these sections but I thought it was a nice that the author(s) of the course decided to include this material.
Anyway I'll be posting my progess as I go!
Thought I'd dust the cobwebs off my blog by sharing something I came across today...
I came across an issue where a user reported that a web application was not opening Excel content they were requesting.
Basically the application was sending csv formatted text to the browser and the browser (Internet Explorer) was supposed to open this with Microsoft Excel 2010.
template sending the content had the correct headers configured to
instruct the browser to open this in Microsoft Excel and the content was
valid but for some reason the new window was failing silently without
promting the user to open \ save the file. The only clue was that this was a new PC with Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8 installed and their previous PC worked fine.
I decided to check with Firefox and voila - I was prompted to Open / Save the file.
So after diagnosing different scenarios through the code I then started
looking into the settings on the PC for Internet Explorer.
I was recently asked to provide a quick link for allowing administrators
to download _all_ user uploaded assets for a particular form.
The obvious choice for this was to use <CFZIP /> to create an
archive, compress the download file size and also provide one download
It didn't take very long to do, but I thought I'd share a quick example of this for others who might need the same.
All, sincere apologies, but I have just realised that my Contact form hasn't been working.
If you have used this to contact me please and I have not yet replied please resend to [niall] [@] [niallodoherty.com] or contact me using the details on my About page.
Once again, sorry about that and I am working with my hosting provider to get this resolved.